FAQs: The Grant of Cash Allowance to Teachers for SY 2020-2021
The Department of Education released DepEd Order No. 10 s. 2020 – Guidelines on the Grant of Cash Allowance to Teachers for School Year (SY) 2020-2021 and the SYs thereafter.
According to the said DepEd Order, the grant of Cash Allowance to Teachers, formerly known as the Chalk Allowance.aims to capacitate and empower teachers by continuously expanding their welfare and benefits to augment the expenses incurred/spent by teachers in the actual performance of their teaching responsibilities. The Cash Allowance shall cover the expenses of teachers for the purchase of teaching supplies and materials, tangible or intangible, for the implementation or conduct of various modes of learning delivery.
The actual amount of the allowance to be given shall be governed by the provision indicated in the approved general appropriations act (GAA) of the current year.For succeeding years, the amount shall depend on the approved allocation to be indicated in the GAA.
For Fiscal Year (FY) 2020, Special Provision No. 10 of the Republic Act (RA) No. 11645, the GAA for FY 2020, or An Act Appropriating Funds for the Operation of the Government of the Republic of the Philippines from January One to December Thirty-One, Two Thousand and Twenty, and for Other Purposes, stated that: the Cash Allowance to Teachers shall be used for the payment of
Three Thousand Five Hundred Pesos (P3,500.00)
per classroom teacher for every school year for the purchase of teaching supplies and materials.
Who are entitled to receive the Cash Allowance to Teachers
The Cash Allowance to Teachers shall be granted to all public elementary, junior, and senior high schools, and community learning centers, who are in service in DepEd for the current school year, and assigned with at least one teaching load.
- All permanent teachers
- Provisional teachers, including Alternative Learning System (ALS) Mobile Teachers and District ALS Coordinators (DALSCs),
3. Teachers who are in service in DepEd as of the official first day of the school up to 30 calendar days after the start of the school year shall be entitled to the full amount of the Cash Allowance.
4. Teachers whose assumption to duty is beyond 30 days after the official first day of school shall be entitled to the Cash Allowance on a pro-rata basis.
Public School Teachers are defined in RA No. 4670 or the Magna Carta for Public School Teachers, as:
All persons engaged in classroom teaching, in any level of instruction, on full-time basis, including guidance counselors, school librarians, industrial arts or vocational instructors, and all other persons performing supervisory and/or administrative functions in all schools, colleges, and universities operated by the government or its political subdivisions;
But, this shall not include school nurses, school physicians, school dentists, and other school employees.
Who are Exempted for the Grant of Cash Allowance for Teachers
According to DepEd Order No. 10 s. 2020 – Guidelines on the Grant of Cash Allowance to Teachers for School Year (SY) 2020-2021, Public School Teachers who fall under the following circumstances shall not be entitled to the grant of Cash Allowance:
- Those with no teaching load and performing non-teaching functions, duties, and responsibilities within the current school year;
- Those who are on absence without leave (AWOL), indefinite sick leave of absence, maternity leave, or study leave within the current school year;
- Those who are found guilty of any offense in connection with their work and meted the penalty in the previous school year; and
- Those who are no longer in service as of the official start of the current school year.
- Teachers in items 1 and 2. who resume duty and are assigned with at least one (1) teaching load within the current school year shall be entitled to the Cash Allowance on a pro-rata basis.
When shall the Cash Allowance for Teachers be given?
The Cash Allowance shall be given to entitled public school teachers not earlier than the official start of every school year, as stipulated in the annual issuance on the official School Calendar, or as may be decided by the Secretary or his/her designated authority in cases of emergency situations.
- Department of Education
To read the official copy of DepEd Order No. 10 s. 2020 – Guidelines on the Grant of Cash Allowance to Teachers, just click HERE.